How do I put all this together to understand my purpose and calling?
Putting together all the clues you’ve gathered in this series can be daunting, but here are some next steps you can take toward understanding your purpose.
Talk to God about it. Seek Him daily.
Invest in relationship with Him: learn who He is and how much He loves you!
- Talk to God. Thank You for making me with purpose. Show me what it is and what next steps I should take.
- Seek Him daily. In bed. On the road. When you’re bored. When you celebrate. All the time. Let Him be your BFF. Tell him all about your day. He loves to hear your questions, hopes, and concerns. He’s always available and enjoys your presence so much more than you realize.
- Read the Bible. God has so much to share with you. The Bible is His letter to you: to help you understand who He is, what He said He will do, to help you know who He has made you to be, and to help you make wise choices.
Grow in character and knowledge.
We all have waiting seasons when we have questions about who we are supposed to become and what it is that God wants to accomplish through us. Use that time well like Jesus did.
Jesus “kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.” Luke 2:52
- Focus on truth. Practice agreeing with God. Post verses on your wall, on your phone, anywhere that will remind you of truth. Create a playlist of songs that remind you of God’s love for you and help you worship Him.
By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. Hebrews 11:8, NIV
for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Philippians 2:13, NIV
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6, NASB
- Develop healthy habits, relationships, and RUN from temptation – fast, like you’re escaping great danger. Because you are.
- Further reading (I’m not an affiliate):
Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For by Rick Warren
The Me I Want To Be: Becoming God’s Best Version of You by John Ortberg
Even if you don’t know what your calling might be, it’s good to try out some different roles in your local church community.
- Review your notes from this series. God may give you an idea as you read over them.
- Look through a list of ministries, outreach events, or service projects. There may be a list of current events listed on the church website.
- Show up for a ministry, an outreach, a kids event, or a service project.
- Ask if you can just try it out 2 or 3 times before deciding if you like helping. Try some different roles. Even if those ministries or roles don’t fit you well, you’ll gain valuable experience and meet new people. You won’t know if you’ll like something unless you try it!
How filled with HOPE I am when I consider that God has a good plan for each of us and that He wants to make this world better through me – and YOU. I hope that excites you, too.
Father God, thank You for making me – unique and remarkable. Thanks for having good plans for me and for promising to help me finish what You have started. Today, I ask for clarity and ideas on next steps I can take to discover my purpose. Give me the ability to seek You and to love the people in my life. Bring the right people into my life to mentor and encourage me. Let me always want YOU more than any task or goal or person. Thanks that You have a plan – a good one – and that You will carry it out… that I don’t have to worry at all, because You have got this. In Jesus’ name.